One of the mysteries of the English language finally explained.
Rub one's hands together to show keen satisfaction.‘shareholders in the massively profitable business must be rubbing their hands in glee’
- ‘Statuesquely seated on a sofa, with her carefully straightened hair cascading down her back, she practically rubs her hands together in glee when she talks about her stint as a crime reporter.’
- ‘Murphy smiled, rubbed his hands together and they laughed.’
- ‘It appears not, while the residents of the leafy lanes in south Dublin rub their hands together in glee, the economists are once again stumped by a story that continues to run.’
- ‘Then he rubs his hands together in anticipation.’
- ‘How the lawyers must be rubbing their hands together!’
- ‘When big Australian companies report record profit increases, it's not just their shareholders rubbing their hands together in anticipation.’
- ‘Besides Clarissa, Trevor was rubbing his hands together with glee.’
- ‘I grinned to myself, rubbing my hands together.’
- ‘Instead, he rubbed his hands together, satisfied.’
- ‘I know from working in the retail supermarket environment that owners of all large firms at this time of year rub their hands together and think of profits.’
Top tips for CV writingRead more
In this article we explore how to impress employers with a spot-on CV.