One of the mysteries of the English language finally explained.
Rub one's hands together to show keen satisfaction.‘shareholders in the massively profitable business must be rubbing their hands in glee’
- ‘Statuesquely seated on a sofa, with her carefully straightened hair cascading down her back, she practically rubs her hands together in glee when she talks about her stint as a crime reporter.’
- ‘Instead, he rubbed his hands together, satisfied.’
- ‘How the lawyers must be rubbing their hands together!’
- ‘Then he rubs his hands together in anticipation.’
- ‘When big Australian companies report record profit increases, it's not just their shareholders rubbing their hands together in anticipation.’
- ‘I know from working in the retail supermarket environment that owners of all large firms at this time of year rub their hands together and think of profits.’
- ‘Murphy smiled, rubbed his hands together and they laughed.’
- ‘I grinned to myself, rubbing my hands together.’
- ‘Besides Clarissa, Trevor was rubbing his hands together with glee.’
- ‘It appears not, while the residents of the leafy lanes in south Dublin rub their hands together in glee, the economists are once again stumped by a story that continues to run.’
Top tips for CV writingRead more
In this article we explore how to impress employers with a spot-on CV.