Which Joe gave his name to ‘sloppy joes’? We look at five interesting sandwiches and their lexical origins.
[mass noun] Dull regularity of events or actions:‘the routineness of life’
- ‘The routineness of it all belies just how much fun we were in for over the course of the mission.’
- ‘I would rather have accepted the usual 'routineness' of life than all that stress.’
- ‘The mix of gee-whiz gadgetry and the day-to-day routineness of Jack and Victoria's lives is interesting enough, but the film is too glacially paced.’
- ‘The adoption of organizational rules is influenced by other factors such as routineness of organizational tasks and environmental complexities.’
- ‘The user actively plays the role of producer and audience, not just in terms of a heightened pattern of interactivity but in the regularity and routineness with which Websites appear.’
- ‘I think it has to do with the routineness of life sort of living by a timetable.’
- ‘The focus on "stages" and "events" tends to gloss over the day-to-day humdrum, the mind-numbing routineness of it all.’
We take a look at several popular, though confusing, punctuation marks.
From Afghanistan to Zimbabwe, discover surprising and intriguing language facts from around the globe.
The definitions of ‘buddy’ and ‘bro’ in the OED have recently been revised. We explore their history and increase in popularity.