One of the mysteries of the English language finally explained.
A march for troops over a designated route, typically via roads or tracks.
hike, trek, slog, traipse, trudge, tramp, walk, march, long haulView synonyms
- ‘Hot, tired and hungry, they navigated a route march in searing 40 degrees heat.’
- ‘The end of training is usually marked by some arduous task such as the stretcher march or a gruelling final route march, which are perceived as necessary rites-of-passage.’
- ‘He recalls that the most difficult part of his training was a 20-mile route march with backpack in December 1989 during basic training in Oklahoma.’
- ‘Training should be progressive, starting with light physical exertion followed by route marches and mountain climbing, culminating in test exercises in difficult terrain.’
- ‘About 1,000 feet below us there was a squad of soldiers on a mountain route march.’
Top tips for CV writingRead more
In this article we explore how to impress employers with a spot-on CV.