One of the mysteries of the English language finally explained.
A march for troops over a designated route, typically via roads or tracks.
hike, trek, slog, traipse, trudge, tramp, walk, march, long haulView synonyms
- ‘About 1,000 feet below us there was a squad of soldiers on a mountain route march.’
- ‘Hot, tired and hungry, they navigated a route march in searing 40 degrees heat.’
- ‘The end of training is usually marked by some arduous task such as the stretcher march or a gruelling final route march, which are perceived as necessary rites-of-passage.’
- ‘He recalls that the most difficult part of his training was a 20-mile route march with backpack in December 1989 during basic training in Oklahoma.’
- ‘Training should be progressive, starting with light physical exertion followed by route marches and mountain climbing, culminating in test exercises in difficult terrain.’
Top tips for CV writingRead more
In this article we explore how to impress employers with a spot-on CV.