One of the mysteries of the English language finally explained.
1A marine fish with a deep laterally compressed body and large rough-edged scales which become spiny on the belly.
- ‘Orange roughie live 130 years and these things are completing their life cycle in a year.’
- ‘Orange roughy were found in concentrations in some locations, but underwater pinnacles and other obstructions made trawling very difficult.’
- ‘Orange roughy reach 150 years old and they don't reproduce until they're in the mid 20s to mid 30s.’
- ‘Florida Bay serves as a spawning ground for pretty much every fish in the central Atlantic - grouper, snapper, mahi-mahi, pompano, roughy.’
- ‘The smaller silver roughy, H. mediterraneus, has a similarly wide distribution but is of much less importance.’
2another term for ruff (sense 1)
Top tips for CV writingRead more
In this article we explore how to impress employers with a spot-on CV.