One of the mysteries of the English language finally explained.
Beat someone up.‘he was roughed up in jail while awaiting trial’
beat up, beat, attack, assault, knock about, knock around, maltreat, mistreat, abuse, batter, manhandleView synonyms
- ‘There the recruits were forced to kneel against the wall, where they were roughed up and drenched with cold water.’
- ‘The pizzas are knocked flying as the thugs nab Stan and start roughing him up.’
- ‘And Darrow then turns on Mencken and roughs him up rhetorically.’
- ‘For the second start in a row, on Saturday night they made short work of the 39-year-old Yankee starter in their domicile, roughing him up for four runs and knocking him out after two innings.’
- ‘The evening in question, I'd been cornered by a trio of thugs, who took great delight in roughing me up.’
- ‘So, since the gangsters know they can get away with it they try to rough her up.’
- ‘She ran a hand through her hair and felt the cut where she had been roughed up by Derek.’
- ‘Bob thinks Decker is attempting to brainwash Sandra, so he roughs Decker up.’
- ‘Fearing that the criminal would return and rough me up, I blew on my crime whistle to wake my neighbors for help.’
- ‘Failing to do this will result in Internet thugs coming to your house and roughing you up.’
Top tips for CV writingRead more
In this article we explore how to impress employers with a spot-on CV.