One of the mysteries of the English language finally explained.
Decomposed siliceous limestone used as a powder or paste for polishing metals.
- ‘For older stains use a paste of rottenstone, baking soda or cigarette ashes mixed with mineral oil, linseed oil, or lemon oil.’
- ‘For a glassy finish, use pumice or rottenstone (decomposed limestone).’
- ‘Using rottenstone will produce the finest mirror-like finish.’
- ‘For the final touch, rub down the table using a thin paste of rottenstone.’
- ‘Of course there's sanding between coats and a final rub out with pumice or rottenstone to give an even ‘dead’ surface.’
Top tips for CV writingRead more
In this article we explore how to impress employers with a spot-on CV.