Which Joe gave his name to ‘sloppy joes’? We look at five interesting sandwiches and their lexical origins.
Any of a group of RNA viruses, some of which cause acute enteritis in humans.
- ‘Symptomatic human rotaviruses were detected in 57 of 352 specimens by RNA-PAGE.’
- ‘Gastroenteritis is caused mainly by viruses, such as the rotaviruses commonly found in infected shellfish.’
- ‘Astroviruses, meanwhile, are a leading cause of gastrointestinal infections, second only to rotaviruses as a cause of childhood diarrhea.’
- ‘In recent years, the existence of different types of human rotaviruses has been demonstrated by immunological assays and gel electrophoretic analysis of viral RNA.’
- ‘He is investing as much as $300 million to test a vaccine against rotavirus, a highly infectious parasite that can cause deadly gastroenteritis.’
1970s: modern Latin, from Latin rota wheel + virus.
Are you looking for a word for a foolish person? We explore twelve interesting words to describe the dunderheads in your life.
Before you run for the hills, let’s run through a list of ‘run’ expressions that are running through our minds.
The definitions of ‘buddy’ and ‘bro’ in the OED have recently been revised. We explore their history and increase in popularity.