One of the mysteries of the English language finally explained.
1A Swiss dish of grated potatoes formed into a small flat cake and fried.‘the Swiss rösti, which is close to being their national home dish, is made with cooked potatoes’
- ‘It was served, as was every dish save the fondue, with sides of red cabbage and rösti, that most delicious of Swiss dishes.’
- ‘The plate also has fruit, a small portion of rösti, toast, and more.’
- 1.1count noun A flat cake of grated potato.‘place 4 of the rösti in the pan’
- ‘I used a big cutting board and carefully slid the rösti onto that, and then flipped.’
- ‘Next I had a magnificent bit of pintail duck, so gamey as to briefly persuade me that it might in fact have been a pigeon; there was chestnut and bacon there and sprout tops and a cheeky little rösti.’
1950s: from Swiss German.
Top tips for CV writingRead more
In this article we explore how to impress employers with a spot-on CV.