Which Joe gave his name to ‘sloppy joes’? We look at five interesting sandwiches and their lexical origins.
The spiritual leader of a community of Zen Buddhist monks.
spiritual teacher, teacher, tutor, sage, counsellor, mentor, guiding light, spiritual leader, leader, masterView synonyms
- ‘Upon Suzuki Roshi's death in 1971, his dharma heir Zentatsu Richard Baker was installed as abbot, one of the first Western students trained by an Asian master to become a Roshi.’
- ‘I saw Roshi only at meals, which, unlike most abbots, he took with the monks.’
- ‘Many well-known generals were private Zen students of famous Roshis.’
- ‘Two monks are standing in the garden of the monastery, arguing over the nature of reality when the Roshi overhears them.’
- ‘As Suzuki Roshi said the first time I heard him lecture, ‘You're perfect just as you are.’’
Are you looking for a word for a foolish person? We explore twelve interesting words to describe the dunderheads in your life.
Before you run for the hills, let’s run through a list of ‘run’ expressions that are running through our minds.
The definitions of ‘buddy’ and ‘bro’ in the OED have recently been revised. We explore their history and increase in popularity.