One of the mysteries of the English language finally explained.
nounPlural roshis, Plural Roshis
The spiritual leader of a community of Zen Buddhist monks.
spiritual teacher, teacher, tutor, sage, counsellor, mentor, guiding light, spiritual leader, leader, masterView synonyms
- ‘Many well-known generals were private Zen students of famous Roshis.’
- ‘Two monks are standing in the garden of the monastery, arguing over the nature of reality when the Roshi overhears them.’
- ‘I saw Roshi only at meals, which, unlike most abbots, he took with the monks.’
- ‘As Suzuki Roshi said the first time I heard him lecture, ‘You're perfect just as you are.’’
- ‘Upon Suzuki Roshi's death in 1971, his dharma heir Zentatsu Richard Baker was installed as abbot, one of the first Western students trained by an Asian master to become a Roshi.’
Top tips for CV writingRead more
In this article we explore how to impress employers with a spot-on CV.