One of the mysteries of the English language finally explained.
nounPlural roshis, Plural Roshis
The spiritual leader of a community of Zen Buddhist monks.
spiritual teacher, teacher, tutor, sage, counsellor, mentor, guiding light, spiritual leader, leader, masterView synonyms
- ‘Many well-known generals were private Zen students of famous Roshis.’
- ‘As Suzuki Roshi said the first time I heard him lecture, ‘You're perfect just as you are.’’
- ‘I saw Roshi only at meals, which, unlike most abbots, he took with the monks.’
- ‘Upon Suzuki Roshi's death in 1971, his dharma heir Zentatsu Richard Baker was installed as abbot, one of the first Western students trained by an Asian master to become a Roshi.’
- ‘Two monks are standing in the garden of the monastery, arguing over the nature of reality when the Roshi overhears them.’
Top tips for CV writingRead more
In this article we explore how to impress employers with a spot-on CV.