Which Joe gave his name to ‘sloppy joes’? We look at five interesting sandwiches and their lexical origins.
1The action of catching or securing something with ropes:‘calf roping’
- ‘Diversions include everything from roping and riding to minicourses in Native American crafts, but some visitors do little except laze in a hammock, soak in a hot tub, or take a slow boat ride on nearby Blue Lake.’
- ‘Part of the Atlantic Stampede's appeal during its 14 years of bull riding and calf roping is its focus on entertainment.’
- ‘Then, of all things, she'd taken up spinning and needlework and all those feminine accomplishments she'd always scorned in favor of roping and riding.’
- ‘Number eight, you enjoy riding, roping and redecorating.’
- ‘I did everything: steer wrestling, calf roping, barrel racing, and my favorite, saddle bronco.’
- ‘This allowed women to enter rodeo contests on an ad-hoc basis and to compete in a limited number of traditional events, such as calf roping and cutting.’
- ‘For 84 years, Red Bluff, with 13,000 residents and a whole lot of Victorian homes, has hosted this annual celebration of roping, racing, and riding.’
- ‘But most guests prefer a more active role on the ranch: herding cattle from one pasture to another, rounding up strays, and learning team penning, roping, or cutting.’
- ‘She could do anything he could, from riding and roping to branding the cattle and castrating the bulls.’
- ‘The power in Corb's songs is his ability to bring his world of roughnecks and steer roping to life on the stage.’
- ‘The morning proceeded just like any other around here: repairing fences, roping, keeping tabs on our cattle.’
- ‘Naturally, the way to Penelope's heart is to show off a prowess in shooting, roping and riding.’
- ‘They had a couple of older cowboys that would do the roping, including my father and my Uncle Arthur.’
- ‘A professional rider until her retirement in 1937, Kreig entered four traditional events: calf roping, bronc riding, bulldogging, and steer riding.’
- ‘Untill then, you will take rounding, herding and roping classes from my staff.’
- ‘He was so happy, telling me about his friend's younger sister who had just won a roping contest.’
- ‘If equestrian sports are your forte, there are many offerings in the Leitrim area, but perhaps the most unusual is Drumcoura City, a real wild west town were Arizona cowboys teach western riding, roping and reining.’
- ‘For more than 50 years, the team roping event at the Lion's Arena has been one of Three Rivers' biggest annual events.’
- ‘Apart from herding, corralling, separating, branding and roping, I won a calf first go and the rawhide lasso nearly ripped my hands off.’
2Ropes collectively:‘I grabbed the stiff, wet roping’
- ‘His installations, made of scrap objects and tied up with tangled roping, dominate the landscape.’
We take a look at several popular, though confusing, punctuation marks.
From Afghanistan to Zimbabwe, discover surprising and intriguing language facts from around the globe.
The definitions of ‘buddy’ and ‘bro’ in the OED have recently been revised. We explore their history and increase in popularity.