One of the mysteries of the English language finally explained.
A transport system for materials or people, used especially in mines or mountainous areas, in which carriers are suspended from moving cables powered by a motor.
- ‘Until the 1920s, an aerial ropeway took its output to the coke ovens at the Huncoat Colliery.’
- ‘He said ropeways and golf courses could be developed at a number of places so that new tourist destinations could be set up.’
- ‘With the aid of a ropeway, and after a strenuous climb in the cold, we finally stood on the observation point of Mount Myoken at a height of 1,333 metres.’
- ‘Men could be taken across on a wire ropeway, but the heavy materials had to be transported by horses on a steep zig-zag track on the side of the canyon.’
- ‘Men and material are transported between the two ships using a Jackstay Serial or a ropeway pulley system.’
- ‘Either way it's a splendid three hours of walking, so long as you're happy negotiating some mildly slippery slopes with the aid of a couple of stalwart ropeways.’
- ‘In tandem, the tourism department is cranking up its plans to develop Nandi Hills by setting up entertainment for children and adults as well as a ropeway.’
- ‘The place could be approached from the mainland through a tunnel, by boat or by ropeway, said highly-placed sources.’
- ‘The authorities could even think of introducing modern systems such as ropeways to transport goods and thereby avoid the pack-donkey service, which has been a major problem at Sabarimala.’
- ‘Mysterious Lagoon is now a commercial dive site, with an aerial ropeway for transporting dive-gear to and from the chasm, a stepped walkway for access and a platform at the water's edge.’
- ‘The spectacular journey delivers you across the spine of Japan by cable car, bus, trolleybus and ropeway.’
- ‘We have plans for three ropeways - from Gateway, Nehru Science Centre and Taraporewala Aquarium - criss-crossing the safari at the racecourse.’
- ‘The mules have the additional benefit of offering a green solution, leaving the landscape unscarred by gouging truck tyres or the ropeways that are used to transport construction material.’
- ‘There was also an overhead ropeway with buckets carrying the ore from the shaft to the mill for crushing.’
- ‘Bands, dancing and Gurkha storytelling will also feature, while the more energetic visitors can have a go at an Army climbing wall or aerial ropeway.’
- ‘The government has also put on offer the proposal for setting up a ropeway to the famous Hanuman temple at Jakhoo, the highest point, giving an aerial view of the hill town.’
Top tips for CV writingRead more
In this article we explore how to impress employers with a spot-on CV.