One of the mysteries of the English language finally explained.
An insect larva that feeds on the roots of plants.
- ‘Reducing losses resulting from rootworm on continuous corn is the predominant objective of most soil insecticide applications.’
- ‘The western corn rootworms themselves began rotating fields, to make sure future generations were always born in a cornfield, not a soybean field.’
- ‘Fields remaining below the threshold level throughout the beetle egg-laying period are not expected to have economic populations of rootworms next year.’
- ‘Planting an alternate crop in the spring literally can starve to death the new rootworms.’
- ‘We are seeing root feeding from root worms, some of which are nearing maturity, while some are still hatching.’
- ‘Crop rotation is still the best approach to reduce densities of western corn rootworms in Nebraska.’
- ‘Without check strips, you won't know whether the absence of injury is due to insecticide efficacy or the absence of rootworms.’
- ‘French and colleagues are researching the seed mix in cooperation with Monsanto and conducting other research on rootworms.’
- ‘The corn rootworm enjoys the dubious distinction of triggering more insecticide use than any other single pest in U.S. agriculture.’
- ‘Transgenic corn provides excellent control of corn rootworms in most instances.’
- ‘Where first year corn rootworm is not a problem, annual rotation of corn with an alternative crop will eliminate rootworm problems.’
- ‘Corn rootworms are the target of almost half the insecticides used in row crops in this country, requiring more insecticide than any other pest.’
- ‘Late maturing fields are particularly susceptible to corn rootworms moving into them from nearby earlier maturing fields.’
- ‘In continuous corn if beetle counts exceed 0.75 beetle per plant, damaging populations of corn rootworms are possible in that field next year.’
- ‘However, not all continuous corn fields have economic infestations of corn rootworms.’
- ‘The presence of adult beetles or rootworms in a field is not necessarily an indication of insecticide failure.’
- ‘The refuge helps prevent the development of resistance to European corn borer and corn rootworm.’
- ‘Almost every acre of corn in Texas is treated with soil insecticides at planting to limit root damage caused by rootworm.’
- ‘Twenty years ago, managing corn rootworms was simple: just rotate crops from corn to soybeans.’
- ‘As the root dries out rootworm will fall out and drop into the water where they can be more easily seen.’
Top tips for CV writingRead more
In this article we explore how to impress employers with a spot-on CV.