Which Joe gave his name to ‘sloppy joes’? We look at five interesting sandwiches and their lexical origins.
(of music) uncommercialized and full-blooded, typically showing traditional or ethnic origins.‘the tradition of rootsy Celtic pop’‘his rootsy musical background’
- ‘How many times can you say ‘good mid-tempo rootsy rocker’ or ‘folk-inflected acoustic ballad’ before you cough up a lung into your coffee cup, anyway?’
- ‘Ragtime blues was the rootsy style of music played by American jug bands in the 1920s and 30s, and Ragweed take this style and add their own touch of north coast character.’
- ‘Fearing's music is just incredibly simple, rootsy, and heartfelt music.’
- ‘This album is an irresistible blend of blues, rootsy soul, and soft acoustic rock, with poignant and heartfelt lyrical phrasing.’
- ‘His songs were almost exclusively from his latest album, a collection of pleasant, rootsy pop tunes.’
- ‘True, I generally don't spend much time in that region of the musical landscape where rootsy earthiness crosses into rock dynamics and posturing.’
- ‘But in the UK, that ‘folk’ tag usually means something much more rootsy.’
- ‘In fact, the album's overall polished countenance doesn't seem to jive with the band's supposed rootsy goals.’
- ‘The new record sounds more rootsy, down-home and settled than the last record.’
- ‘In terms of sounds and song writing, the group display a rootsy but progressive approach that should ensure that they, and their audience, stay challenged, refreshed & interested.’
- ‘There's never anything wrong with a twist of rootsy folk and country, but once it veers into corny territory it's time to switch gears.’
- ‘This was the beginning of three powerful years, which marked the growth of gritty, rootsy blues-based rock in the UK.’
- ‘And while such slights might be easily explainable with regard to punk-rock dunderheads and whatnot, rootsy souls are supposed to be thoughtful and predisposed to such sensibilities.’
- ‘But be warned, this is not a gig featuring his usual brand of ear-shattering rock - it's more rootsy, country-based music.’
- ‘Splitting the difference between the quiet Appalachia and alt-country found on her previous two discs, Suzie Ungerleider returns with a collection of rootsy rock.’
- ‘Her new album ‘South’ is a mixture of rootsy soul inspired music, a couple of rockers and a few electronic influences.’
- ‘The unimpeachably authentic Lucinda Williams releases another rootsy, sultry gem this month.’
- ‘These influences are evident on this decidedly mellow album, which embraces a spectrum of rootsy, acoustic sounds.’
- ‘Sticking more to an urban, rootsy and realistic sound, the latter half of the compilation gets right under your skin.’
- ‘The recording is sparse and to the point, focusing on a blend of folk, soul and a rootsy take on rock ‘n’ roll.’
Are you looking for a word for a foolish person? We explore twelve interesting words to describe the dunderheads in your life.
Before you run for the hills, let’s run through a list of ‘run’ expressions that are running through our minds.
The definitions of ‘buddy’ and ‘bro’ in the OED have recently been revised. We explore their history and increase in popularity.