One of the mysteries of the English language finally explained.
A supporter or fan of a sports team or player.‘ringside rooters rose to salute him’‘Minnesota Twins rooters’
follower, supporter, upholder, defender, advocate, disciple, votary, partisan, member, friend, stalwartView synonyms
- ‘It won't be long, I'm sure, before Tiger rooters will start painting the links red.’
- ‘Another fan, this one a Patriots rooter, clearly had had more than his share of beer and was making a spectacle of himself in the stands.’
- ‘For the Rangers' rooters, it's not as if this seven-year slump were another long-suffering Stanley Cup famine.’
- ‘Justice Stewart Potter was also a baseball fan, a Cincinnatii Reds rooter.’
- ‘The ball park has become an advertising venue and celebrity scene instead of a home away from home for rooters.’
- ‘Imagine, Chiefs rooters applauding loudly for the Giants before their contest, acknowledging their opponents' link to New York City.’
- ‘When Tiger seemed too good for his age, and the other parents took him for a ringer, Tida was his one rooter on the course.’
- ‘The biggest change, though, is atop the 37-foot high wall, where there are 280 new seats - plus standing room - filled with Red Sox rooters whose relentless razzing is within earshot of the left fielder.’
- ‘Cubs rooters, in fact, may well be the only fans in professional sports that learn from an early age to wear a protective cup to games.’
- ‘The ballpark was pulsating and one fan heading back to his seat with beers set them down, hugged a security guard and slapped hands with other rooters.’
Top tips for CV writingRead more
In this article we explore how to impress employers with a spot-on CV.