One of the mysteries of the English language finally explained.
Each of a large number of elongated microscopic outgrowths from the outer layer of cells in a root, absorbing moisture and nutrients from the soil.
- ‘The larvae feed on root hairs, restricting nutrient and moisture uptake by the plant.’
- ‘You can also start a new plant by digging up a piece of the old plant with a bit of root and root hairs attached.’
- ‘In plants, osmosis occurs for example at root hairs, allowing the uptake of water from the soil.’
- ‘In the nutrient-rich area around the root hairs, microscopic bacteria and fungi feed and multiply.’
- ‘Phosphorus deficiency produced the largest increase in root hair density, and the biggest decrease in root hair inequality.’
Top tips for CV writingRead more
In this article we explore how to impress employers with a spot-on CV.