One of the mysteries of the English language finally explained.
Each of a large number of elongated microscopic outgrowths from the outer layer of cells in a root, absorbing moisture and nutrients from the soil.
- ‘In the nutrient-rich area around the root hairs, microscopic bacteria and fungi feed and multiply.’
- ‘In plants, osmosis occurs for example at root hairs, allowing the uptake of water from the soil.’
- ‘You can also start a new plant by digging up a piece of the old plant with a bit of root and root hairs attached.’
- ‘Phosphorus deficiency produced the largest increase in root hair density, and the biggest decrease in root hair inequality.’
- ‘The larvae feed on root hairs, restricting nutrient and moisture uptake by the plant.’
Top tips for CV writingRead more
In this article we explore how to impress employers with a spot-on CV.