One of the mysteries of the English language finally explained.
A male domestic fowl; a cock.
cockerel, male fowl, caponView synonyms
- ‘Outside there was a chicken coop and John had already bought three chickens and a rooster and they now milled about the coop pecking at bugs on the ground.’
- ‘There were quite a few chickens wandering around, but evidently no roosters.’
- ‘Hens and roosters, showing off their gilded feathers, gabble under my window,’
- ‘As dawn approaches and the light level rises, you will hear roosters crowing and the night ambient sounds will die away.’
- ‘Papa couldn't butcher their milk cow and he had to keep the surviving roosters and hens to build a new flock in the new year.’
- ‘A rooster and two chickens are her only companions.’
- ‘You don't need a rooster to get eggs; hens lay just fine with no male supervision.’
- ‘Fresh eggs, the farm atmosphere, roosters crowing in the morning - the whole effect.’
- ‘These fights usually end up with the death of one of the roosters.’
- ‘But now the only thing they had at the farm was an old milk cow, Hannah, and a few chickens and a rooster.’
- ‘Cockfighting (two roosters battling each other in a ring) commands a fanatical following.’
- ‘She could hear about two, no, three different roosters crowing, sunlight just barely peeking through her window.’
- ‘The Senate version would outlaw the interstate shipping of dogs or roosters for the purpose of fighting.’
- ‘The sun's light stretched across he sleepy town, causing a few roosters to crow.’
- ‘We don't recommend roosters for backyard beginners - they are loud and aggressive, and the hens will lay better without them.’
- ‘The next morning, she woke up to the crowing of roosters at dawn, but barely lifted a hand or batted an eye to get up, returning to the lulling delight of slumber.’
- ‘Dawn stretched out upon the sky, and the roosters proclaimed the new day across the country.’
- ‘My only training was in how to hold off the rooster when I was scattering the wheat grains to the hens.’
Top tips for CV writingRead more
In this article we explore how to impress employers with a spot-on CV.