One of the mysteries of the English language finally explained.
A person who is unwilling to settle for long in one place.‘he was a rolling stone, with no ties to anyone or anyplace’
tramp, drifter, down-and-out, derelict, beggar, itinerant, wanderer, nomad, wayfarer, traveller, gypsy, rover, vagabond, transient, migrant, homeless person, beachcomber, person of no fixed abode, person of no fixed address, knight of the road, bird of passageView synonyms
- ‘But he became a rolling stone, frequently changing clubs and missing a season here and there either through injury or because he couldn't find a club.’
- ‘Unlike a rolling stone, we've gathered a little moss.’
- ‘This week sees even you rolling stones settling into the pleasures of restful domesticity.’
- ‘This rolling stone also was a flamboyant, hard-drinking male chauvinist and dare-devil.’
- ‘His father was a rolling stone who was to busy doing drugs and caused his son to fear him by his behavior.’
- ‘You rolling stones are best off investigating the pleasures of domesticity this week.’
- ‘Free-spirited and eccentric she, the rolling stone of the crew, fills most of her time trying to find herself when she's not working on her documentary about single mothers.’
- ‘They're footloose, rolling stones, they have nomadic blood.’
- ‘In Washington, she found ‘the greatest collection of individualists, international rolling stones, and slightly batty geniuses ever gathered together in one organization.’’
- ‘In contrast, she plays her life like a game of chance, taking joy from the serendipity that a rolling stone existence brings her.’
a rolling stone gathers no moss
proverb A person who does not settle in one place will not accumulate wealth or status, or responsibilities or commitments.
- ‘But sometimes you just have to take the rough with the smooth, watch the way the cookie crumbles, let sleeping dogs lie, and remember that a rolling stone gathers no moss.’
- ‘Just as a rolling stone gathers no moss, an active brain grows no hair.’
- ‘He was a jack of all trades and a master of a few of them but a rolling stone gathers no moss so he was never well off.’
- ‘He adds: ‘A rolling stone gathers no moss, and I need to be active.’’
- ‘He certainly was not sympathetic towards the spirituality of them, and he once commented to a friend considering the monastic life, ‘It is true that a rolling stone gathers no moss, but then, why should it?’’
- ‘A rolling stone gathers no moss, and a wavering judgment makes a fruitless life.’
- ‘Yet we must be mindful that a rolling stone gathers no moss.’
In this article we explore how to impress employers with a spot-on CV.