One of the mysteries of the English language finally explained.
A cylinder rolled over pastry or dough to flatten or shape it.
- ‘Using rolling pins, the students roll out a clay slab and cut out a rectangle with the paper clip.’
- ‘Cut each breast in half lengthways and flatten with a rolling pin between two sheets of cling film, until they are 5mm thick.’
- ‘Use a rolling pin to roll out a wedge into a very thin circle - as thin as you can make it, like a sheet of fabric - roughly 7 ½ to 8 inches in diameter.’
- ‘Flatten by rolling a heavy rolling pin on the bread.’
- ‘There is a set of scales with weights, a rolling pin, a round spice tin, a wooden potato masher, and a butter cooler.’
- ‘Take the ball of dough out from the fridge, lightly flour a clean work surface, and use a rolling pin to roll the dough out in a circle slightly larger than the pan.’
- ‘The easiest way to do this with very short pastry is wrap it lightly around the rolling pin, lift the pastry up on the rolling pin, and lay it on top of the fruit.’
- ‘I whacked it with my rolling pin to begin the flattening process.’
- ‘With a rolling pin, continue flattening the dough until it reaches about 10-11 inches across and 1 / 8th inch thick.’
- ‘Flatten dough with rolling pin, and use cutters to create shapes.’
- ‘Gently press flat with a rolling pin and shape into a loaf.’
- ‘Cover with plastic wrap and, using a rolling pin, roll until the dough is 1/2-inch thick.’
- ‘If you can't get a roller, using a kitchen rolling pin with all your weight will work.’
- ‘She wanted to borrow a rolling pin and some flour.’
- ‘Nowadays the hazelnuts are hand-crushed with rolling pins to assure they're still in irregular chunks before dipping.’
- ‘Don't struggle with dough sticking to your rolling pin.’
- ‘With a floured rolling pin, roll out one rectangle to 7 by 14 inches.’
- ‘When the batch is ready, everyone grabs a handful of cookie dough and a rolling pin, and the flour begins to fly.’
- ‘Now use a rolling pin to roll the dough out to a rectangle about 15 mm thick.’
- ‘Lay the rolling pin across the center of the clay sheet and roll from the center to the top edge of the clay.’
Top tips for CV writingRead more
In this article we explore how to impress employers with a spot-on CV.