Which Joe gave his name to ‘sloppy joes’? We look at five interesting sandwiches and their lexical origins.
A factory or machine for rolling steel or other metal into sheets.
- ‘When I came out, I wasn't qualified for anything, so I went to work in the rolling mills.’
- ‘The blades were made by rolling steel through a precision rolling mill, which gradually reduced the thickness of the steel to five thousandths of an inch.’
- ‘During the due diligence process, the manager of a rolling mill gave a wildly optimistic assessment of the unit's capacity.’
- ‘Its furnaces and rolling mills are operating at 68% of capacity, while its average sales price has fallen 4% in the past year.’
- ‘He took the opportunity the see how a former rolling mill had been transformed to fit in with 21st century industry.’
- ‘It is a world leader in the field of high-pressure vessels and has produced equipment for steel rolling mills, bridges, dock gates and a maintenance life system.’
- ‘Sheet produced from slabs on continuous rolling mills is coiled directly off the mill.’
- ‘He also disclosed that talks are underway on a special steel section rolling mill and a processor for roofing and cladding.’
- ‘However, they usually have high concentrations of expensive alloying elements and must be subjected to large deformations, which impose heavy workloads on rolling mills.’
- ‘It makes a profit and will continue to do so with only minor updates to its antiquated blast furnaces and rolling mills.’
- ‘Men who work in steel mills, blast furnaces, rolling mills, or other environments of intense heat have a slightly increased incidence of breast cancer (probably due to thermal suppression of androgen production).’
- ‘The metals, in appropriate composition, are melted in furnaces, cast into ingots and passed through rolling mills to reduce them into strips.’
- ‘Continuous rolling mills can be classified according to the arrangement of stands or passes.’
- ‘The bar, direct from the casting wheel is reduced 98.6% to 0.7 cm in a 13 stand rolling mill.’
- ‘The integrated iron and steel mill is an integration of direct reduction steel-making and rolling mill technologies into one plant.’
- ‘Later the thinness of the sheet was improved by using water-powered trip hammers, and by the 19th Century sheets of copper were made by steam power and rolling mills.’
Are you looking for a word for a foolish person? We explore twelve interesting words to describe the dunderheads in your life.
Before you run for the hills, let’s run through a list of ‘run’ expressions that are running through our minds.
The definitions of ‘buddy’ and ‘bro’ in the OED have recently been revised. We explore their history and increase in popularity.