Which Joe gave his name to ‘sloppy joes’? We look at five interesting sandwiches and their lexical origins.
Act or behave in a jovial and exuberant fashion.‘a satirical novelist who rollicks through the sleaze of the American psyche’
criticize, censure, condemn, castigate, chastise, lambaste, pillory, savage, find fault with, fulminate against, abuseView synonyms
- ‘The movie rollicks with elements of pretty well all seven of the deadly sins.’
- ‘The caterpillars, very active now, escaped from their muslin sleeve and were soon rollicking all over the furry upholstery, providing them with excellent camouflage.’
- ‘On stage it rollicks and sparkles, at once deeply funny and tragic.’
- ‘The cast was goofy and funny, while the action was plentiful and rollicking.’
- ‘The room was rollicking with various movers & shovers wandering, drinking, eating and laughing in the way the they have been for years.’
- ‘The goat was a real happy goat once upon a time you see or so it believed and so it rollicked about the dried out pastures filled with glee.’
- ‘That simple, spontaneous outburst spreads among the villagers who join in until the whole beach is rollicking with the unrestrained, joyful laughter of a people who have found themselves and each other once more.’
- ‘Percussion percolates and piano rollicks through a brassy arrangement that celebrates life and the beat.’
- ‘Just ask all those giddy people who rollicked through the nation's capital last week.’
- ‘The new band rollicked through a set of sweet, country pop rock that can give the old band a run for their money.’
- ‘The band rollicks along with oodles of energy and are best in the few moments of simplicity.’
Early 19th century: probably dialect, perhaps a blend of romp and frolic.
Are you looking for a word for a foolish person? We explore twelve interesting words to describe the dunderheads in your life.
Before you run for the hills, let’s run through a list of ‘run’ expressions that are running through our minds.
The definitions of ‘buddy’ and ‘bro’ in the OED have recently been revised. We explore their history and increase in popularity.