Which Joe gave his name to ‘sloppy joes’? We look at five interesting sandwiches and their lexical origins.
[mass noun] Skating on a hard surface other than ice, as a sport or a pastime.
- ‘There were no clubs or poker machines and the social life evolved around dancing, roller skating and the picture theatres.’
- ‘We'll have costume contests and, of course, there's roller skating.’
- ‘I said she had bruises, she falls a lot roller skating.’
- ‘It also had a large roller skating rink where people glided to music.’
- ‘She passed the mall and shopping center, past the roller skating rink and the favorite teen hangout (though not at the time), and several houses before reaching her own home.’
- ‘There was a roller skating rink and even an indoor ice-skating rink.’
- ‘I once spent an entire evening with my wife at a roller skating rink and never got off the floor.’
- ‘Again the answer came back a yes, which, of course meant I couldn't go to the roller skating party that afternoon because there would surely be a ‘couples’ skate.’
- ‘The best part about it was the front porch that spanned the width of the house had the smoothest concretes surface that was super duper for roller skating.’
- ‘Over the last few years low profile sports such as roller skating, wakeboarding, and surfing have found their way to the video game world in record numbers and have been well received.’
- ‘Are you going to go white water rafting, hiking, biking, roller skating, scuba diving?’
- ‘If only I'd mastered the art of roller skating first, it would have been perfect.’
- ‘By a notice, all ball games, roller skating and skateboarding were prohibited.’
- ‘He was good at cricket, rugby, roller skating, rowing, shooting, and fishing.’
Are you looking for a word for a foolish person? We explore twelve interesting words to describe the dunderheads in your life.
Before you run for the hills, let’s run through a list of ‘run’ expressions that are running through our minds.
The definitions of ‘buddy’ and ‘bro’ in the OED have recently been revised. We explore their history and increase in popularity.