One of the mysteries of the English language finally explained.
A window blind fitted on a roller.
screen, shade, louvre, awning, canopy, sunshade, curtain, shutter, cover, covering, protectionView synonyms
- ‘There are companies that will brighten up roller blinds, ceramic tiles, wallpaper, bedspreads, curtains, carpet tiles, and even aluminium, using customers' photographs.’
- ‘Another dashboard button unfurls and retracts a black roller blind across the roof glass.’
- ‘Essential heating is concealed in the floor slab, under stone paving, in the brick retaining wall, and behind roller blinds which, silvered on the outside, provide shade in summer and insulation in winter.’
- ‘Drapery liners are available that hook onto existing window treatments and roller blinds.’
- ‘The pleated window night screens could be replaced by some kind of roller blinds which are easier to retract.’
- ‘To keep the room looking modern, she suggests fuss-free window treatments with a blackout lining or neat options such as a roller blind, Roman blind or wooden shutters.’
- ‘Whether you use Roman, wooden Venetian style or even a voile roller blind to defuse the light off your computer screen, there will always be a perfect solution to allow as much or as little light into your room as you require.’
- ‘He also specialises in roller blinds, venetians, timber venetians, Roman blinds, vertical drapes, budget curtaining, ready-made curtains, valances and rod pocketed curtains.’
- ‘The dusty maroon roller blinds didn't do much to help.’
- ‘She adds, ‘I will not take a booking unless the nursery has both curtains with black-out lining and a special black-out roller blind.’’
Top tips for CV writingRead more
In this article we explore how to impress employers with a spot-on CV.