One of the mysteries of the English language finally explained.
A window blind fitted on a roller.
screen, shade, louvre, awning, canopy, sunshade, curtain, shutter, cover, covering, protectionView synonyms
- ‘Essential heating is concealed in the floor slab, under stone paving, in the brick retaining wall, and behind roller blinds which, silvered on the outside, provide shade in summer and insulation in winter.’
- ‘Whether you use Roman, wooden Venetian style or even a voile roller blind to defuse the light off your computer screen, there will always be a perfect solution to allow as much or as little light into your room as you require.’
- ‘To keep the room looking modern, she suggests fuss-free window treatments with a blackout lining or neat options such as a roller blind, Roman blind or wooden shutters.’
- ‘Another dashboard button unfurls and retracts a black roller blind across the roof glass.’
- ‘The pleated window night screens could be replaced by some kind of roller blinds which are easier to retract.’
- ‘He also specialises in roller blinds, venetians, timber venetians, Roman blinds, vertical drapes, budget curtaining, ready-made curtains, valances and rod pocketed curtains.’
- ‘The dusty maroon roller blinds didn't do much to help.’
- ‘There are companies that will brighten up roller blinds, ceramic tiles, wallpaper, bedspreads, curtains, carpet tiles, and even aluminium, using customers' photographs.’
- ‘She adds, ‘I will not take a booking unless the nursery has both curtains with black-out lining and a special black-out roller blind.’’
- ‘Drapery liners are available that hook onto existing window treatments and roller blinds.’
Top tips for CV writingRead more
In this article we explore how to impress employers with a spot-on CV.