Which Joe gave his name to ‘sloppy joes’? We look at five interesting sandwiches and their lexical origins.
A person looked to by others as an example to be imitated.
precedent, lead, guide, model, pattern, blueprint, template, paradigm, exemplar, ideal, standardView synonyms
- ‘It brings in Giardello's life outside work as a caring father, husband, and involved role model in his household.’
- ‘Andy's humanistic approach to police work - and life - is particularly important since he's the father of young Opie, who looks to him as a role model.’
- ‘Can Nick keep the wolves at bay while also remaining a good role model to his increasingly impressionable son?’
- ‘Marcus sees Will as a role model, and their unlikely rapport sets the tone of what Chris calls a ‘Billy Wilder-type mix of cynicism and hope.’’
- ‘Approximately, 40 percent of the respondents indicated that having a personal role model was ‘Not influential’ in selecting an agricultural major.’
- ‘For girls, she's a role model of empowerment as the female hero with big guns.’
- ‘Furthermore, she is a role model of how to teach adults.’
- ‘Cyriac's detailed notes and drawings, together with his interests in collecting, made him a role model for later antiquarians.’
- ‘The Kahlo work celebrates this artist and feminine role model, while the Mandela work rejoices in a rainbow romantic, peace-loving citizen.’
- ‘On an only slightly different note, both the movie and Lucy's character seem a bad role model for impressionable young teens.’
- ‘We all agree that Dora is a spunky gal who makes a decent role model for anyone, Hispanic or not.’
- ‘Thirty-three percent of the respondents indicated that no people of color in an agriculture-related career had served as a role model to them.’
- ‘The kids look up to Rocky as a folk hero and role model.’
- ‘Is there anyone else out there that they should look towards as a role model?’
- ‘His stubborn integrity has made him a consistently interesting and evolving artist and a role model for a more ideal art world.’
- ‘The former child star credited his father, Rance, who plays small roles in most of Ron's films, for being a great role model.’
- ‘Mary Jane has her own journey in the film and I think she is a strong character who can also be a role model to the girls who are watching.’
- ‘Her enthusiasm and skill provides a role model for aspiring film-makers.’
- ‘He seemed touched to learn that a young newspaper reporter had grown up thinking of him as a role model.’
- ‘He's an introverted, straight - A student whose father's passing has left him without a male role model.’
Are you looking for a word for a foolish person? We explore twelve interesting words to describe the dunderheads in your life.
Before you run for the hills, let’s run through a list of ‘run’ expressions that are running through our minds.
The definitions of ‘buddy’ and ‘bro’ in the OED have recently been revised. We explore their history and increase in popularity.