One of the mysteries of the English language finally explained.
A protest or demonstration, typically one that involves the obstruction of a railway or road.‘services to and from Bangalore were affected today due to the rail roko’
- ‘Students and the public staged a Rasta roko on Monday against the poor state of the road disrupting traffic for hours together.’
- ‘Thousands of men, women and children staged 24-hour ‘Rasta rokos’ at more than 16 places in Mumbai to protest over the lack of assistance.’
- ‘When that did not materialise, the enraged women warned of staging Rasta roko in the coming days if the water supply was not restored.’
- ‘We would have called a Rasta roko or a chakka jaam, except that we realised that we'd simply be replicating what's already happened.’
- ‘On the evening of April 22, another crowd of residents of Bombay gathered, this time on Marine Drive and staged a Rasta roko.’
Hindi, from roknaa ‘prevent, hinder’.
Top tips for CV writingRead more
In this article we explore how to impress employers with a spot-on CV.