One of the mysteries of the English language finally explained.
A protest or demonstration, typically one that involves the obstruction of a railway or road.‘services to and from Bangalore were affected today due to the rail roko’
- ‘On the evening of April 22, another crowd of residents of Bombay gathered, this time on Marine Drive and staged a Rasta roko.’
- ‘We would have called a Rasta roko or a chakka jaam, except that we realised that we'd simply be replicating what's already happened.’
- ‘Students and the public staged a Rasta roko on Monday against the poor state of the road disrupting traffic for hours together.’
- ‘When that did not materialise, the enraged women warned of staging Rasta roko in the coming days if the water supply was not restored.’
- ‘Thousands of men, women and children staged 24-hour ‘Rasta rokos’ at more than 16 places in Mumbai to protest over the lack of assistance.’
Hindi, from roknaa ‘prevent, hinder’.
Top tips for CV writingRead more
In this article we explore how to impress employers with a spot-on CV.