One of the mysteries of the English language finally explained.
1A member of a Muslim people inhabiting western Burma (Myanmar)‘the UNHCR estimates 800,000 Rohingya live in Burma's mountainous Rakhine state’
- ‘There are also significant numbers of Chin, Kachin, Kayah (Karenni), Pao, Palaung, Lahu, Wa, and Rohingya.’
- ‘The Rohingya in Myanmar live mostly in the northern state of Rahkine and in the past fled through Bangladesh and into the Middle East.’
- ‘There are also hundreds of thousands of Rohingya living in Bangladesh.’
- ‘Thousands of Rohingya immigrants from Myanmar live in Malaysia, where they first began arriving in large numbers in the early 1990s.’
- ‘Burmese Rohingya wait in a crowded room for malaria test results at special clinic for malaria on May 4, 2009 in Sittwe, Arakan state, Myanmar (Burma).’
- ‘Among them are Acehnese from Indonesia and people from the minority Muslim community of Rohingyas in Myanmar.’
2mass noun The Indic language of the Rohingya.‘he asked me if I spoke Rohingya’
- ‘They only speak Rohingya.’
- ‘Rohingya (Ruáingga) is the spoken language of Rohingya people which is similar to Chittagonian language spoken in the neighbouring Chittagong region of Bangladesh.’
- ‘In retrospect, perhaps I should have asked him to speak Rohingya. But what he said is more important than what language he spoke.’
Relating to or denoting the Rohingya or their language.‘Rohingya communities’‘Rohingya Muslims’
- ‘Muslims living in the northernmost reaches of Rakhine State are generally called Rohingya regardless of their ancestry.’
- ‘Many of its recruits are thought to be members of the Rohingya community of Myanmar who, along with a few volunteers from Thailand, make up the bulk of its approximately 700 trained members.’
- ‘Defense lawyer Amir Hamzah said the Rohingya siblings have been in Malaysia for four years and are applying for refugee status with the UNHCR.’
- ‘Authorities are now trying to ascertain whether they are members of the Rohingya community from the Arakan region of Myanmar.’
- ‘A local woman helped a Rohingya refugee in a small hospital after she was rescued yesterday off Indonesia.’
- ‘This image at left is of a Rohingya mosque in Sittwe.’
- ‘The ruling states that the man is a member of the Rohingya minority in Myanmar and had been involved in pro-democracy political activities.’
Rohingya: self-designation, from the name of a former kingdom of Burma.
In this article we explore how to impress employers with a spot-on CV.