One of the mysteries of the English language finally explained.
1A member of a Muslim people inhabiting western Burma (Myanmar)‘the UNHCR estimates 800,000 Rohingya live in Burma's mountainous Rakhine state’
- ‘The Rohingya in Myanmar live mostly in the northern state of Rahkine and in the past fled through Bangladesh and into the Middle East.’
- ‘Burmese Rohingya wait in a crowded room for malaria test results at special clinic for malaria on May 4, 2009 in Sittwe, Arakan state, Myanmar (Burma).’
- ‘Among them are Acehnese from Indonesia and people from the minority Muslim community of Rohingyas in Myanmar.’
- ‘There are also significant numbers of Chin, Kachin, Kayah (Karenni), Pao, Palaung, Lahu, Wa, and Rohingya.’
- ‘Thousands of Rohingya immigrants from Myanmar live in Malaysia, where they first began arriving in large numbers in the early 1990s.’
- ‘There are also hundreds of thousands of Rohingya living in Bangladesh.’
2mass noun The Indic language of the Rohingya.‘he asked me if I spoke Rohingya’
- ‘They only speak Rohingya.’
- ‘In retrospect, perhaps I should have asked him to speak Rohingya. But what he said is more important than what language he spoke.’
- ‘Rohingya (Ruáingga) is the spoken language of Rohingya people which is similar to Chittagonian language spoken in the neighbouring Chittagong region of Bangladesh.’
Relating to or denoting the Rohingya or their language.‘Rohingya communities’‘Rohingya Muslims’
- ‘The ruling states that the man is a member of the Rohingya minority in Myanmar and had been involved in pro-democracy political activities.’
- ‘Many of its recruits are thought to be members of the Rohingya community of Myanmar who, along with a few volunteers from Thailand, make up the bulk of its approximately 700 trained members.’
- ‘A local woman helped a Rohingya refugee in a small hospital after she was rescued yesterday off Indonesia.’
- ‘Muslims living in the northernmost reaches of Rakhine State are generally called Rohingya regardless of their ancestry.’
- ‘Defense lawyer Amir Hamzah said the Rohingya siblings have been in Malaysia for four years and are applying for refugee status with the UNHCR.’
- ‘Authorities are now trying to ascertain whether they are members of the Rohingya community from the Arakan region of Myanmar.’
- ‘This image at left is of a Rohingya mosque in Sittwe.’
Rohingya: self-designation, from the name of a former kingdom of Burma.
In this article we explore how to impress employers with a spot-on CV.