One of the mysteries of the English language finally explained.
A model of a horse mounted on rockers or springs for a child to sit on and rock to and fro.
- ‘Retailers are seeing bumper sales of doll's houses and rocking horses instead of toys tied in to films or TV shows as in previous years.’
- ‘Sometimes when they have gone, I sit gently on their rocking horse, which is really a springing horse, which bounces on a metal frame.’
- ‘The safety conscious EU has come up with another gem - rocking horses mustn't be more than 24 inches high.’
- ‘Many a house in the area has one of his much sought-after rocking horses carved from wood.’
- ‘The business also has a museum of rocking horses, some of which date back to the early 1800s.’
- ‘Mr Dew, whose business employs nine people, said not all rocking horses were made as toys for children.’
- ‘The 22-inch-wide piece reportedly served (in the studio) as a rocking horse for the sculptor's preschool son.’
- ‘I recall the story of the boy who when he rides his rocking horse is able unfailingly to pick the winners at a local race track.’
- ‘He has also written a book about making rocking horses, which will be published in October.’
- ‘Rules banning traditional rocking horses for being too tall, announced just before Christmas, really did sound like the Brussels bureaucrats at their Scrooge-like worst.’
- ‘The new store, in the King Street area, will sell everything from high-value rocking horses to imitation space shuttles.’
- ‘It includes a mini adventure playground, swings, a climbing frame and rocking horses for toddlers.’
- ‘The news was welcomed by Jan Brown, of Little Jems, the award-winning nursery and children's shop, in Newcastle Emlyn, which sells hand-crafted rocking horses.’
- ‘In the rural crafts tent, Margaret White was almost having to fight off customers interested in her hand-carved rocking horses.’
- ‘His father Chris says he's worn out several wooden rocking horses before moving on to the real thing.’
- ‘The toy store is selling a rocking horse carved out of a single piece of mahogany for $5,400.’
- ‘Two children appear in the foreground, the boy on a rocking horse, the girl in a sweet white party dress.’
- ‘Aria noticed instantly how warm the room was and as she sat down on her old rocking horse, she wished for it to be cooler in there too.’
- ‘The room was soon filled with rocking horses, toy trains, model airplanes, and building blocks.’
- ‘He has been manufacturing rocking horses for 27 years and sells throughout the UK, as well as exporting parts and plans worldwide.’
Top tips for CV writingRead more
In this article we explore how to impress employers with a spot-on CV.