A marine fish of the scorpionfish family with a laterally compressed body. It is generally a bottom-dweller in rocky areas and is frequently of sporting or commercial value.
- ‘In the case of fisheries, vessels chasing rockfish should not destroy halibut, and boats seeking shrimp should not degrade the spawning stock of redfish.’
- ‘According to the report, are several species of ‘groundfish’ are at risk, including the yelloweye rockfish.’
- ‘When a snipefish was recovered from the belly of a rockfish off the coast of Southern California, it was the first found in that region for more than 40 years.’
- ‘Now we're catching species with long life spans such as the orange roughy, rockfishes, and large groupers, many of which are now seriously threatened.’
- ‘For the first time, anglers off the Donegal coast of north-west Ireland have reported catching bluefin tuna and bluemouth rockfish.’