Which Joe gave his name to ‘sloppy joes’? We look at five interesting sandwiches and their lexical origins.
A person who works with space rockets; a rocket enthusiast.
- ‘Nasa and other rocketeers usually choose liquid or solid fuels.’
- ‘A second team of rocketeers competing for the $10 million Ansari X Prize has officially announced the first launch date for its manned rocket.’
- ‘Organisers are opening up the contest to youngsters from across the region to take on its champion rocketeers in reaching for the stars.’
- ‘There are even schisms within the group, mostly between the hardcore fuel propellant rocketeers and the water-jet proponents.’
- ‘US troops returning from a futile mission to track down the rocketeers described the experience as ‘just like Vietnam.’’
- ‘Professional rocketeers from the Starchaser project gave a presentation alongside their Nova rocket.’
- ‘After its initial rendezvous, the spacecraft will spend five months near the asteroid named after the late rocketeer Hideo Itokawa, father of Japan's space program.’
- ‘It has agreed to sponsor the 2002 Hull Rocket Trials, a contest which gives young rocketeers the opportunity to put their creations through their paces.’
- ‘Also, with the $10 million X Prize now fully funded, at least for the near term, there is an additional financial incentive for entrepreneurial rocketeers.’
- ‘In this case the team of student rocketeers would share a similar, if humbling, experience with many professional rocket designers and engineers: a launch vehicle failure.’
- ‘There's plenty of technology on the shelf and in the fertile minds of garage-mechanic rocketeers around the world, especially in North America.’
- ‘The rookie rocketeer instinctively hit the right breaker and all power was restored.’
- ‘But no script can hope to match the life of the German rocketeer behind the experiment whose real story is revealed today for the first time.’
- ‘‘We're heading out to North By Northeast in a couple of weeks to play a showcase for some industry types,’ reveals the rocketeer.’
- ‘The Saturn V, the crowning achievement of Wernher von Braun's rocketeers, was the most powerful rocket ever built.’
- ‘ESA rocketeers are hoping that the payload does not actually end up in the Atlantic - as happened during the last Ariane 5 ECA launch in 2002.’
- ‘But the secret may be to use antimatter as fast as it is generated - a challenge for rocketeers of the twenty-first century.’
- ‘A team of rocketeers has claimed success in their goal of launching the first amateur rocket into space.’
Are you looking for a word for a foolish person? We explore twelve interesting words to describe the dunderheads in your life.
Before you run for the hills, let’s run through a list of ‘run’ expressions that are running through our minds.
The definitions of ‘buddy’ and ‘bro’ in the OED have recently been revised. We explore their history and increase in popularity.