Which Joe gave his name to ‘sloppy joes’? We look at five interesting sandwiches and their lexical origins.
A rocking lever in an engine, especially one in an internal combustion engine which serves to work a valve and is operated by a pushrod from the camshaft.
- ‘The rocker arm must have enough room to operate the valve in a smooth motion both up and down without causing excessive load to the valve guide.’
- ‘The system is activated via a two-piece rocker arm.’
- ‘The engine's camshaft drives the pump pistons through a roll rocker arm.’
- ‘A small treatment cup, operating from a rocker arm directly off the seed dump pan and out of a small reservoir, meters one cup of treatment with each dump of the seed pan.’
- ‘We had a really wild ride there when the left rear rocker arm snapped going over the crest of the hill.’
We take a look at several popular, though confusing, punctuation marks.
From Afghanistan to Zimbabwe, discover surprising and intriguing language facts from around the globe.
The definitions of ‘buddy’ and ‘bro’ in the OED have recently been revised. We explore their history and increase in popularity.