One of the mysteries of the English language finally explained.
1A tropical snapper which occurs both in the sea and in rivers, valued for food and sport.
2British mass noun Dogfish or wolf fish as food.
- ‘If you want another fright, the wolf-fish is one of several fish sold as rock salmon in your local chip-shop!’
- ‘There's a traditional East Midlands fish and chip shop on the front, one among many, that serves the best rock salmon and chips you'll find anywhere.’
- ‘There's also a firmer, meatier, stronger-flavored rock salmon, aka dogfish; a salty, tasty whiting; and, of course, a moist and flaky cod, the gold standard of the fried-fish genre.’
- ‘My delight is a good fillet of rock salmon, fresh cooked, hot and steamy inside a soft batter jacket all crisp and sizzled on the outside.’
- ‘The chain had been serving 17 tonnes of cod a year, but simply replaced them with fish such as coley, rock salmon, whiting and plaice.’
Top tips for CV writingRead more
In this article we explore how to impress employers with a spot-on CV.