One of the mysteries of the English language finally explained.
1A tropical snapper which occurs both in the sea and in rivers, valued for food and sport.
Lutjanus argentimaculatus, family Lutjanidae
2British mass noun Dogfish or wolf fish as food.
- ‘There's also a firmer, meatier, stronger-flavored rock salmon, aka dogfish; a salty, tasty whiting; and, of course, a moist and flaky cod, the gold standard of the fried-fish genre.’
- ‘There's a traditional East Midlands fish and chip shop on the front, one among many, that serves the best rock salmon and chips you'll find anywhere.’
- ‘The chain had been serving 17 tonnes of cod a year, but simply replaced them with fish such as coley, rock salmon, whiting and plaice.’
- ‘My delight is a good fillet of rock salmon, fresh cooked, hot and steamy inside a soft batter jacket all crisp and sizzled on the outside.’
- ‘If you want another fright, the wolf-fish is one of several fish sold as rock salmon in your local chip-shop!’
In this article we explore how to impress employers with a spot-on CV.