Which Joe gave his name to ‘sloppy joes’? We look at five interesting sandwiches and their lexical origins.
- another term for cantaloupe
- ‘Watermelon, mango, strawberries, orange, kiwi fruit, rock melon and honey dew melon had filled the seven bowls, and a generous dollop of organic cream was poured all over the fruit.’
- ‘At the orchards the annuals we are growing for market - the rock melon and the tomatoes - have been joined unexpectedly by the pumpkins.’
- ‘If pawpaw is too highly priced people tend to go for something similar like rock melon which is much cheaper.’
- ‘For example at the Show they had four varieties of rock melon, several of cucumber and eight varieties of pumpkins.’
Are you looking for a word for a foolish person? We explore twelve interesting words to describe the dunderheads in your life.
Before you run for the hills, let’s run through a list of ‘run’ expressions that are running through our minds.
The definitions of ‘buddy’ and ‘bro’ in the OED have recently been revised. We explore their history and increase in popularity.