An idealized cycle of processes undergone by rocks in the earth's crust, involving igneous intrusion, uplift, erosion, transportation, deposition as sedimentary rock, metamorphism, and further melting and igneous intrusion.
- ‘Plane tectonics are necessary to process biogeochemical cycles to the rock cycle.’
- ‘This mass of molten continent still, however, retains enough homogeneity to be returned more or less as a unit at the mid-ocean ridges eons later as the rock cycle continues.’
- ‘Subjects of discussion include minerals in your house, mineral groups, mineral properties, mineral games, crystals, and the rock cycle.’
- ‘The principal focus of group tours is on the properties of rocks and minerals, the rock cycle, and the history of life through time.’
- ‘This is the essence of the rock cycle - rocks change, from one type to another and back again.’