Which Joe gave his name to ‘sloppy joes’? We look at five interesting sandwiches and their lexical origins.
An idealized cycle of processes undergone by rocks in the earth's crust, involving igneous intrusion, uplift, erosion, transportation, deposition as sedimentary rock, metamorphism, and further melting and igneous intrusion.
- ‘The principal focus of group tours is on the properties of rocks and minerals, the rock cycle, and the history of life through time.’
- ‘This mass of molten continent still, however, retains enough homogeneity to be returned more or less as a unit at the mid-ocean ridges eons later as the rock cycle continues.’
- ‘This is the essence of the rock cycle - rocks change, from one type to another and back again.’
- ‘Subjects of discussion include minerals in your house, mineral groups, mineral properties, mineral games, crystals, and the rock cycle.’
- ‘Plane tectonics are necessary to process biogeochemical cycles to the rock cycle.’
We take a look at several popular, though confusing, punctuation marks.
From Afghanistan to Zimbabwe, discover surprising and intriguing language facts from around the globe.
The definitions of ‘buddy’ and ‘bro’ in the OED have recently been revised. We explore their history and increase in popularity.