Which Joe gave his name to ‘sloppy joes’? We look at five interesting sandwiches and their lexical origins.
Any of a number of marine fishes that frequent rocky habitats, especially in Australian waters.
- ‘So I tried to ignore them by concentrating on the numerous rock cod that seemed to be sunning themselves on the coral.’
- ‘One good one, S. cardinalis, turns up in Australia, where it was given the inappropriate name of red rock cod.’
- ‘Our rods were home made, but with my rod I caught rock cod, parrot fish and spotties.’
- ‘At the edge of the park, you find a collection of caves housing a school of giant rock cod, some stretching the whole of 2 metres.’
- ‘A 27 kg male will consume roughly 25 per cent of his body weight in clams, crabs, squid and rock cod each day.’
We take a look at several popular, though confusing, punctuation marks.
From Afghanistan to Zimbabwe, discover surprising and intriguing language facts from around the globe.
The definitions of ‘buddy’ and ‘bro’ in the OED have recently been revised. We explore their history and increase in popularity.