One of the mysteries of the English language finally explained.
A manual labourer working on the construction of a road, railway, or canal.‘a poor rock chopper was working in the hot sun’
- ‘The patient, a rock chopper by trade, complained of lassitude and general weakness.’
- ‘They said the rock-chopper died in gaol.’
- ‘The founding father of our union, he once worked as a rock chopper.’
- ‘"Labouring Occupations" include the ice cart offsider, motor boy, rock chopper and tipman.’
- ‘Had it not been for the war, he surely would have been a chicken killer or a rock chopper.’
- ‘The rock-chopper, the quarryman, and the stonemason were also liable to miners' consumption.’
- ‘He finds that his saw has now an edge on it like a rock-chopper's pick.’
Top tips for CV writingRead more
In this article we explore how to impress employers with a spot-on CV.