One of the mysteries of the English language finally explained.
A type of popular dance music originating in the 1950s, characterized by a heavy beat and simple melodies. Rock and roll was an amalgam of black rhythm and blues and white country music, usually based around a twelve-bar structure and an instrumentation of guitar, double bass, and drums.
- ‘The clothes, the people, the settings, and the war between rock and roll and disco of the time are dead on.’
- ‘My heart belongs to rock and roll, and that is the music I performed for nearly 20 years.’
- ‘Popular music (be it rock and roll, rhythm and blues, country, folk, rap, or whatever) has the power to express and regulate our emotions.’
- ‘The Mamas and The Papas came onto the music scene at a time where popular music was making the transition from folk to rock and roll.’
- ‘There's nothing like straightforward rock and roll to get your blood pumping.’
- ‘The result was a socially-relevant musical - a stunning new genre that seemed just right for a new generation raised on rock and roll.’
- ‘They may look weird, but they are the closest rock and roll has come to real art since Frank Zappa.’
- ‘If you've read any of his novels, you are aware that King has an affection for rock and roll.’
- ‘It was a time of innocence and fun, an era of rock and roll, black and white TV, and invaders from outer space!’
- ‘There is only one band that systematically gets cited whenever the concepts of heavy metal and hard-driving rock and roll are discussed.’
- ‘Though my first love is rock and roll, classical music has always been able to touch my soul in a different way.’
- ‘The band featured a crunching blend of three guitars, lyrics for the ‘every man’ and a grass roots sort of approach to rock and roll.’
- ‘Right around that time was the emergence of rock and roll and I lived it.’
- ‘Carlos Santana hails from the days when technical excellence really meant something in rock and roll.’
- ‘Their music used electronic amplification, and was more closely allied to the emerging styles of rhythm and blues and rock and roll.’
- ‘Unlike most front men in rock and roll, he doesn't have a huge ego.’
- ‘With eerie accuracy, it intimated the upcoming split in American society begat by Vietnam, rock and roll, and a new drug culture.’
- ‘Holly pioneered the dark, fast beat of rhythm and blues, and let bop become rock and roll.’
- ‘As much as the movie tries to deny it, the early '70s were one of the best times for rock and roll.’
- ‘In rock and roll, the best and most influential bands are not always the most successful.’
In this article we explore how to impress employers with a spot-on CV.