Which Joe gave his name to ‘sloppy joes’? We look at five interesting sandwiches and their lexical origins.
[mass noun] A type of popular dance music originating in the 1950s, characterized by a heavy beat and simple melodies. Rock and roll was an amalgam of black rhythm and blues and white country music, usually based around a twelve-bar structure and an instrumentation of guitar, double bass, and drums.
- ‘Though my first love is rock and roll, classical music has always been able to touch my soul in a different way.’
- ‘With eerie accuracy, it intimated the upcoming split in American society begat by Vietnam, rock and roll, and a new drug culture.’
- ‘There's nothing like straightforward rock and roll to get your blood pumping.’
- ‘Their music used electronic amplification, and was more closely allied to the emerging styles of rhythm and blues and rock and roll.’
- ‘Carlos Santana hails from the days when technical excellence really meant something in rock and roll.’
- ‘Right around that time was the emergence of rock and roll and I lived it.’
- ‘They may look weird, but they are the closest rock and roll has come to real art since Frank Zappa.’
- ‘As much as the movie tries to deny it, the early '70s were one of the best times for rock and roll.’
- ‘It was a time of innocence and fun, an era of rock and roll, black and white TV, and invaders from outer space!’
- ‘The clothes, the people, the settings, and the war between rock and roll and disco of the time are dead on.’
- ‘The result was a socially-relevant musical - a stunning new genre that seemed just right for a new generation raised on rock and roll.’
- ‘Holly pioneered the dark, fast beat of rhythm and blues, and let bop become rock and roll.’
- ‘If you've read any of his novels, you are aware that King has an affection for rock and roll.’
- ‘In rock and roll, the best and most influential bands are not always the most successful.’
- ‘Popular music (be it rock and roll, rhythm and blues, country, folk, rap, or whatever) has the power to express and regulate our emotions.’
- ‘The Mamas and The Papas came onto the music scene at a time where popular music was making the transition from folk to rock and roll.’
- ‘There is only one band that systematically gets cited whenever the concepts of heavy metal and hard-driving rock and roll are discussed.’
- ‘My heart belongs to rock and roll, and that is the music I performed for nearly 20 years.’
- ‘Unlike most front men in rock and roll, he doesn't have a huge ego.’
- ‘The band featured a crunching blend of three guitars, lyrics for the ‘every man’ and a grass roots sort of approach to rock and roll.’
Are you looking for a word for a foolish person? We explore twelve interesting words to describe the dunderheads in your life.
Before you run for the hills, let’s run through a list of ‘run’ expressions that are running through our minds.
The definitions of ‘buddy’ and ‘bro’ in the OED have recently been revised. We explore their history and increase in popularity.