One of the mysteries of the English language finally explained.
A large terrestrial crablike crustacean which climbs coconut palms to feed on the nuts, found on islands in the Indo-Pacific area.Also called coconut crab
- ‘The largest of these is the coconut or robber crab, which has even managed to evolve a skin tough enough to discard the need for a shell.’
- ‘The problem was the robber crabs that survived on the edge of the super colonies - once we dropped a bait there, they found that quite attractive and they headed towards it.’
- ‘The protected robber crab - the largest on earth - also survives here.’
- ‘The company participated in the Christmas Island golf day, a three ball ambrose, with the ever-present possibility of losing a golf ball to one of the large robber crabs on the course.’
- ‘The only obstacle in her way were the large robber crabs everywhere in this area of the course.’
Top tips for CV writingRead more
In this article we explore how to impress employers with a spot-on CV.