One of the mysteries of the English language finally explained.
1A killing of an animal on the road by a vehicle.
- ‘The leader of the wildlife team said a rise in lethal fights and roadkills point to a population nearing saturation and looking for places to go.’
- ‘The majority of roadkills in the mating season are of males seeking females.’
- ‘Over the years we have added scientific investigations on wildlife road kill, tree growth and a study of American chestnut seedling survival.’
- ‘As I have stated previously, the proposed upgrade along a major koala corridor will result in numerous road kills.’
- ‘The road itself would lead to increased road kills and further splinter an ecosystem where state officials have already bought more than $100 million worth of land to reduce habitat fragmentation.’
- ‘The group of concerned citizens worked closely with the Florida Department of Transportation to alleviate the massive roadkills along U.S.441.’
- ‘In the Adirondack mountains of New York, an attempt to reintroduce lynxes failed, with 18 of 37 mortalities attributed to road kills.’
- ‘Starvation, poaching (for the fur) and road kills are the Iberian lynx’ leading cause of death.’
- 1.1mass noun Animals killed on the road by vehicles.‘they plan to feed the wolves roadkill for several weeks’
- ‘They make do with pine-needle tea, roots, bugs burrowed under bark, and if they're lucky, roadkill.’
- ‘Driving on two-lane roads at night, headlights rarely flash the eyes of any animals, and there is virtually no road kill, a rough indicator of wildlife populations.’
- ‘A steady supply of carcasses to feed the condors is still being worked out, so in the meanwhile road kill and the occasional dead horse or steer donated from a neighboring ranch will have to do.’
- ‘Taking road kill is illegal without a permit in Canada.’
- ‘As it is, it appears odd, like unrecognisable roadkill.’
- ‘It comes alive briefly, very briefly, when its unappealing heroes, who are reluctantly forced to work for the dole, are assigned to clean up road kill, with predictable results.’
- ‘Similarly, the best locations and characteristics for highway over- and under-passes to reduce road kill have been determined largely through behavioral studies of wildlife.’
- ‘It would be a shame if the British cat ended up as road kill.’
Top tips for CV writingRead more
In this article we explore how to impress employers with a spot-on CV.