One of the mysteries of the English language finally explained.
1The material laid down to form a road.
- ‘A minority of these roads, although listed with a carriageway of constant thickness, may have had a similar surface profile, provided the roadbed on which they were formed had a central camber.’
- ‘Culverts - metal, plastic or concrete pipes installed under roadbeds to channel runoff - are not always the best solution for drainage, but they are common and sometimes necessary.’
- ‘Concrete from the demolition of the site's previous buildings was reused in roadbeds.’
- ‘They begin beneath the roadbed where subsurface water meets the advancing frost line and forms a layer of ice, called a lens.’
- ‘Extant contracts do not give information about the profile of the roadbed except that it was not to be below the level of the adjacent ground.’
- ‘Add such attachments as scarifiers, and graders can even tear up old roadbeds.’
- 1.1North American The part of a road on which vehicles travel.
- ‘Sections of the roadbed where erosion and poor landscaping along steep grades create a safety concern will also be reinforced or shored-up.’
- ‘Petroleum emulsions work for dust suppression, particularly on dirt roadbeds and shoulders in arid areas.’
- ‘Shade helps protect the road from drying out in times of low precipitation; roots stabilize the roadbed.’
- ‘As the water drops, submerged trees, rocks, even old roadbeds break the surface or, worse, lurk just below it, waiting to bust a prop or bend a shaft.’
- ‘Road damage starts when buses and other heavy vehicles over a certain weight threshold cause the roadbed to flex and crack.’
- ‘Officials said that three storms in the last two months collapsed roads and destroyed roadbeds in the park.’
- ‘Because the melted water cannot drain into the frozen subsoil, the upper lifts of a roadbed become saturated and the road's load bearing capacity is greatly reduced.’
- ‘The board said it believes someone crept down to the dusty roadbed after the last vehicle went by and dug in a mine to catch the next passing vehicle.’
- ‘The total area of land being acquired is 141.26 Ha, consisting of 122.42 Ha agricultural land, 10.32 Ha forestry and 8.52 Ha of roadbed.’
- ‘These carefully concealed elevators, built within the highway tunnels located in Portland's West Hills, will have the capacity to lift both vehicles and helicopters to the highway roadbed.’
- ‘Repairs are now underway on the roadbed where the pipe burst.’
- ‘On our left, a sheering ledge cut off the roadbed.’
- ‘The roadbed looked like it was made from rectangular white building stones, grouted together carefully, that had been grossly discolored.’
- 1.2another term for trackbed
- ‘The men who built this railway had to hang suspended by ropes from vertical cliffs, blasting and hacking out a roadbed.’
- ‘This marker also stands on the abandoned roadbed of the St. Paul and Southern Railway.’
Top tips for CV writingRead more
In this article we explore how to impress employers with a spot-on CV.