One of the mysteries of the English language finally explained.
A periodic tax payable on motor vehicles using public roads.
- ‘It is interesting to note that, with effect from January 1 next year, no reduction in BIK is available where the employee pays for private fuel, road tax, repairs or insurance.’
- ‘In 80 per cent of companies supplying cars, insurance, road tax, servicing and repairs are paid for.’
- ‘They can be driven by 16-year-olds, are inexpensive to insure and, at €35 a year, fall into the cheapest category of road tax.’
- ‘The scheme involves an embedded chip that will automatically report to authorities a wide range of offences including speeding, road tax evasion and illegal parking.’
- ‘However, at present I pay for my road use once by paying road tax.’
- ‘Each vehicle comes with a three-year warranty, one year's breakdown cover, 12 month road tax and a week's return policy.’
- ‘Cars over 30 years old are exempt from the National Car Test and there is no Vehicle Registration Tax or road tax to pay.’
- ‘More importantly for buyers in its home country, the engine is fully compliant with the very strict Euro 4 exhaust emission standards, so it is exempt from German road tax until 2005.’
- ‘You will also have to pay an added 10 per cent road tax for each year after your car hits age 10.’
- ‘A further help in keeping running costs down is that the tiny engine size means a road tax of only €151 for a full year.’
- ‘Like most car owners, I pay my road tax, buy fuel, have it serviced and get it repaired when it goes wrong.’
- ‘If my little old banger is still chugging along at the start of next year, I might have to look at what's on offer at the Post Office when I pop in to renew my road tax.’
- ‘James could be getting an extra £78 per week and exemption from road tax on the family car.’
- ‘The IRHA is lobbying politicians to introduce an infrastructural levy to replace new tolls and for the crediting of tolls against road tax.’
- ‘The original market value of the car is £18,000, and the employer bears all the costs in respect of private fuel, insurance, repair and servicing and road tax.’
- ‘Most packages cover road tax, breakdown assistance and regular servicing, and take care of details like tyres, clutch, wiper blades and shock absorbers.’
- ‘The system is intended to automatically alert police if a car is stolen, if road tax hasn't been paid or the MoT is out of date, or if the driver is uninsured.’
Top tips for CV writingRead more
In this article we explore how to impress employers with a spot-on CV.