Which Joe gave his name to ‘sloppy joes’? We look at five interesting sandwiches and their lexical origins.
A film of a genre in which the main character is travelling, either in flight or on a journey of self-discovery.
- ‘The publicity materials further describe it as a ‘searing social commentary, road movie, and, most profoundly, a love story’.’
- ‘This film is an episodic road movie in the Jarmuschian style, which is to say unpredictable, offbeat and peppered with absurdist humour.’
- ‘I taught a course called Men, Women and Cinema, as well as classes on '70s road movies, '80s and '90s independent film and film noir.’
- ‘The group finds the time capsule in relatively short order, but where this would be the end of most road movies, we quickly realize that it is only the beginning of Toyoda's odyssey.’
- ‘But they entirely missed the point because it's a road movie to nowhere.’
- ‘I normally hate buddy road movies filled with gags and understanding girlfriends, but darned if this one doesn't hit every one of its marks and then some.’
- ‘Route 66 was a myth enshrined in road movies and songs - secular hymns to its place names.’
- ‘Blending elements from varied genres - crime thriller, road movie, noir - his picture is somewhat of an oddity.’
- ‘The girls' exchanges reminded me of classic road movies where two characters are thrown together, often quibbling and snapping at each other.’
- ‘The film feels grittily authentic at times and like a comic road movie at others.’
- ‘While relying upon the basic framework and preoccupations of an established genre, the road movie, Badlands twists, defamiliarises and critiques its familiar coordinates.’
- ‘We've encountered these people, or at least those who are similar, in countless other road movies.’
- ‘It is a road movie, a film about cars, and a search for meaning in American life that could easily be called ‘Zen and the Art of Drag Racing’.’
- ‘This is also a road movie in which the narrative is propelled by the encounters Lena has along her way to Sydney.’
- ‘As with all road movies, it's not getting there that matters, but what happens along the way.’
- ‘So, what separates this film from a host of other teen road movies?’
- ‘On the surface, it is a simple road movie.’
- ‘As is the case with most buddy road movies featuring a female and a male, Tommy begins to fall for Lou Ann's wily charms.’
- ‘In Australian narrative cinema, however, and in road movies in particular, de-feminizing the ‘boundary’ is commonly the object of the hero's quest.’
- ‘Since the average road movie is terminally boring, this one provides plenty of pyrotechnics along the way.’
- ‘Like most road movies, this one is made up of vignettes, as the heroes bump and re-bump into a variety of colourful Southern characters.’
We take a look at several popular, though confusing, punctuation marks.
From Afghanistan to Zimbabwe, discover surprising and intriguing language facts from around the globe.
The definitions of ‘buddy’ and ‘bro’ in the OED have recently been revised. We explore their history and increase in popularity.