Which Joe gave his name to ‘sloppy joes’? We look at five interesting sandwiches and their lexical origins.
A car that meets the legal requirements for use on ordinary roads, especially a racing car adapted for road use.
- ‘It is important in Ford history as it was their first 4WD road car.’
- ‘Some represent the outrageous imaginings of top designers while others hint at technology and styling set to filter through to road cars within the next five years.’
- ‘Filming of the project has taken place over several months, covering conversion of a road car into a full-blown rally machine.’
- ‘To put that in perspective, it takes the world's fastest road car 3.2 seconds to reach 60 and 7.5 to reach 100.’
- ‘Ferrari has unveiled its fastest ever road car.’
- ‘The cars were identically prepared race-tuned versions of the new road car launched in Britain in September 2003.’
- ‘The arched roof line, at its highest point, has become a feature of Nissan road cars since the Fusion concept car became Primera.’
- ‘Seat has taken the wraps off its most potent and sporting road car to date - the 210 bhp Leon Cupra R.’
- ‘So when I was asked to take a high-powered road car to an exclusively booked circuit for a morning of tail-out, power sliding, I had to double-check.’
- ‘Returning to Sweden, he recuperated and bought a Lotus Super 7 as a road car.’
- ‘The second key part of the Moller design is the computerised control system, which will allow anyone to pilot his craft as easily as a road car.’
- ‘The company now hopes to use the results of testing on the record vehicle to fine tune a road car, planned for 2005.’
- ‘According to sources, he has driven a McLaren F1 LM road car in the pan-European Gumball 3000 rally.’
- ‘‘When I was driving, we always said that racing car technology improves road cars,’ admits Nikki Lauda.’
- ‘You get a real cross-section of people in here but the majority have fast road cars or modified cars.’
- ‘He rarely crashes these days, but Loeb still likes to drive fast, even though his road cars are a selection of relatively tame Citroëns such as the C2 VTR and C8.’
- ‘After stumping up the £5,000 entry fee, the duo set about stripping down a standard road car and rebuilding it themselves to fit the rally's regulations.’
- ‘Toyota builds complete road cars so why not a complete F1 race car?’
- ‘Sensotronic Brake Control is the world's first ‘brake by wire’ system fitted to a road car.’
- ‘Speed freaks were also enamoured with the fastest road car at the show.’
Are you looking for a word for a foolish person? We explore twelve interesting words to describe the dunderheads in your life.
Before you run for the hills, let’s run through a list of ‘run’ expressions that are running through our minds.
The definitions of ‘buddy’ and ‘bro’ in the OED have recently been revised. We explore their history and increase in popularity.