Which Joe gave his name to ‘sloppy joes’? We look at five interesting sandwiches and their lexical origins.
1A bicycle for use on paved roads as opposed to rough terrain or racing tracks, especially one designed for competitive cycling.
- ‘‘We will be on the road a minimum of five hours per day, but the road bikes we are using can cover the distance quickly and anyone who is in decent shape could handle it,’ he said.’
- ‘Once you decide on a hybrid, mountain or road bike, saddle up and check the distance between the seat and handlebars.’
- ‘Almost 30 million of us pedaled road bikes twice a month last year, and another l0 million mountain-biked monthly on single-track trails.’
- ‘His Stumpjumper, a cross between a high-tech road bike and a sturdy mountain bike, debuted in 1981.’
- ‘Niamey boasts traffic police in California-like road bikes, their immaculately sharp uniforms lit up by the sodium glare of street lights.’
- ‘Ten years ago, a typical high-end Trek road bike sold for $2,200, according to Andrews.’
- ‘Paul Andrews is taking a 20-minute spin on a Trek Y-Foil road bike.’
- ‘‘For a start,’ says Christie, ‘I love road bikes - the lightness of them, the engineering.’’
- ‘Stanforth points out that your core region is also worked on a road bike, as are your triceps, which are used a lot for balancing and even pulling up steep hills.’
- ‘I've a gorgeous road bike that I love to death, riding it is like flying.’
- ‘In October of 1977, Joe built a fat-tire bike of lightweight tubing that was previously found only on better road bikes.’
- ‘The two storey, 16,000 sq ft showroom caters for all ages and tastes, with separate sections for road bikes, children's bikes and mountain bikes.’
- ‘It's that variety, says owner Chris Dupuis, that attracts both weekend riders and more serious cyclists who spend $1, 500 and up on high-end road bikes.’
- ‘Nine of the riders rode mountain bikes and 16 rode road bikes.’
- ‘New Zealand was importing British road bikes and converting them for use on farms.’
- ‘In a world of mountain bikes that look like motorcycles and road bikes with 27 gears, the track bike hasn't changed its basic form for a century.’
- ‘I am not a biker, preferring off-road motorcycle sport, but because of the foot and mouth crisis I was considering buying a road bike to use this summer.’
- ‘Many add such delights as wireless sensors and a dual wheel-size function to allow easy swapping between road bike and mountain bike.’
- ‘All the information I received led me to believe that the hills were not as bad as first anticipated so I chose a full time trial bike instead of a road bike.’
- ‘If you'll be cycling around town, a cruiser or hybrid road bike would be best; for two-wheeling it on the trails, you'll want a mountain bike.’
2A motorcycle that meets the legal requirements for use on ordinary roads.
- ‘It's a problem caused by using the engines we do - they come from road bikes and we don't really know what their history is.’
- ‘The handling in particular was not good compared to the Aprilias, because the Italians have been making road bikes for years.’
- ‘The company behind the move plans to use the Honda ST1300 and Yamaha FJR - among the most powerful road bikes in the world.’
- ‘Its wheels were thick, like those of a four-wheeler, but the rest of the motorcycle was of the same proportion as a road bike.’
- ‘‘We both had road bikes until a year ago, but we were getting too many points on our licences, so we decided that Paul should go racing,’ said Sheryl.’
- ‘To picture cyclocross, think the WWF meets Breaking Away - a steeplechase conducted on hybrid road bikes outfitted with knobby tires, cantilever brakes, and drop handlebars.’
- ‘The park manager believes with no licensed tracks nearby, riders have been using the park as a short cut and a race track for their mopeds, quad and road bikes.’
- ‘The 29-year-old, from Long Street, Easingwold, has converted a Honda RVF 400 machine from a road bike to a racing bike with great results.’
- ‘I had to borrow a bike from a mate of mine for the weekend's races, but we didn't manage to get it ready for racing specification in time, as it was a road bike.’
We take a look at several popular, though confusing, punctuation marks.
From Afghanistan to Zimbabwe, discover surprising and intriguing language facts from around the globe.
The definitions of ‘buddy’ and ‘bro’ in the OED have recently been revised. We explore their history and increase in popularity.