Which Joe gave his name to ‘sloppy joes’? We look at five interesting sandwiches and their lexical origins.
(of a car) meeting legal requirements for use on ordinary roads.
- ‘That would make it 12 mph faster than the McLaren F1, hitherto the world's fastest road-going car.’
- ‘The overall 2004 champion will pick up a brand new road-going Porsche Carrera, with a value of around £55,000.’
- ‘It leverages off the back of its WRC pedigree by producing the Impreza WRX STi - a very fast road-going version its rally car.’
- ‘Those who lust after the latest road-going Ferrari should spare a moment for the people who have helped make Ferrari the icon it is today.’
- ‘The road-going version of this car is graceful and, with its pop-up headlights, looks the biz.’
- ‘The MG XPower SV has been developed from the start as a road-going track car, so the modifications required to make it race-legal are quite minimal.’
- ‘Drivers of the latest road-going car have the benefits of all these years of development.’
- ‘Ford Focus RS which makes its Irish debut in October is the closest you can get to a road-going version of Colin McRae's World Rally Championship contender.’
- ‘The original 911 Turbo had a top speed of 155 mph and was for a long time Germany's fastest road-going sports car.’
- ‘Just over two months later he was back on track, riding for the first time since the accident on a road-going machine at Donington Park.’
- ‘Rally fans keen to get a taste of a lovely, sleek rally Impreza, can now start putting in an order because Subaru has launched road-going versions of its winning car, but with certain obvious and legal restraints.’
- ‘It was capable of over 300 kph in the track versions, but even the road-going version was capable of 225 kph.’
- ‘They arrived for the event with just one point separating them and a first prize of a brand new road-going Peugeot 206 and a works drive for next year.’
- ‘There is a plusher cabin interior and new console and switchgear, making the WRX series, public road-going versions of the acclaimed world rally car, a car to lust after.’
- ‘With a road-going Porsche 911 Carrera up for grabs at the end of the season, there is a lot to play for!’
- ‘By now, the Americans were crying out for a road-going version of the impossibly beautiful car and in 1956 the 356A was born in direct response to this demand.’
- ‘The GTA's dynamics as a road-going car may leave a bit to be desired, but no one can dispute the fact that the looks are stunning.’
Are you looking for a word for a foolish person? We explore twelve interesting words to describe the dunderheads in your life.
Before you run for the hills, let’s run through a list of ‘run’ expressions that are running through our minds.
The definitions of ‘buddy’ and ‘bro’ in the OED have recently been revised. We explore their history and increase in popularity.