One of the mysteries of the English language finally explained.
A boat designed for use on rivers.
- ‘Then board a riverboat for a trip down the mighty Mississip’!’
- ‘New riverboats were constructed to meet these new tourist markets, and much effort was also expended on the restoration of surviving nineteenth-century boats, either for tours or as moored museums.’
- ‘The casino was a riverboat, lying gently on the Mississippi River.’
- ‘It was chaos, but an intricately organized chaos, and the first heaps of cargo were already being trundled off to dockside and the broad-beamed, clumsy-looking riverboats awaiting them.’
- ‘After a journey of 480 miles by foot and riverboat from Winchester, Virginia, Collins and his companions arrived at Fort Washington on August 29, 1791.’
- ‘Visit the observation decks at four area lock and dams to watch barges and riverboats pass through.’
- ‘Lincoln's status as a great patenter, incidentally, stems from a single patent (one more than your average US president, we grant you) for a device for lifting riverboats over shoals.’
- ‘A little later he devised a riverboat which could propel itself against a current by using 'legs' that reached the riverbed, as well as the more conventional paddles.’
- ‘His parents were performers on Mississippi riverboats.’
- ‘The passenger capacity of the new facility is approximately 3,200 guests, an increase of 70% over the 1,875 combined capacities of the two riverboats.’
- ‘The tall man with long blue-black hair leaped lightly from the deck of the riverboat… not wishing to wait on the mooring and the gangplank.’
- ‘Ted Joans was born in Cairo, Illinois, on 4 July 1928, to African American entertainers working on Mississippi riverboats.’
- ‘I was fortunate enough to find the log he kept as a riverboat captain.’
- ‘An elegant riverboat was stationed in the current of the river.’
- ‘When riverboat casinos and Native American casinos started to open in the early 1990s, some Las Vegas operators feared the possible threat to their businesses.’
- ‘Saint Louis, situated on the Missouri and Mississippi rivers, was an important transportation hub in the nineteenth century before railroads replaced riverboats as the most efficient form of travel.’
- ‘‘She's actually a show girl at one of the riverboat casinos on the Red River,’ teased Ian.’
- ‘In front of the hotel was the riverboat casino, and in front of that was a marina filled with boats.’
- ‘On the riverboats, large communal kitchens serve tea and bread for breakfast and rice and beans for lunch and dinner.’
- ‘An 88-passenger riverboat, River Cloud, will travel on the Danube River from Amsterdam to Antwerp.’
Top tips for CV writingRead more
In this article we explore how to impress employers with a spot-on CV.