One of the mysteries of the English language finally explained.
A grey dolphin which has a rounded snout with no beak, and long black flippers, living mainly in temperate seas.
Grampus griseus, family DelphinidaeAlso called grampus
- ‘Another large grey species, the Risso's dolphin, is seen occasionally off the Welsh coast and more commonly off Scotland.’
- ‘A pod of Risso's dolphins has been attracting considerable attention in the waters around Lamb Holm for the past few days.’
- ‘The area is home to bottlenose dolphins, Risso's dolphins and false killer whales, Ting said, adding, ‘sometimes rare sperm whales and humpback whales are also seen.’’
- ‘At up to 4m in length, Risso's dolphin is larger than most of its companion species.’
- ‘And a Risso's dolphin, a stout-bodied species without a pronounced beak, is regularly sighted off the Welsh coast.’
Late 19th century: named after Giovanni A. Risso (1777–1845), Italian naturalist.
In this article we explore how to impress employers with a spot-on CV.