Which Joe gave his name to ‘sloppy joes’? We look at five interesting sandwiches and their lexical origins.
1Full of the possibility of danger, failure, or loss.‘it was much too risky to try to disarm him’
dangerous, fraught with danger, high-risk, hazardous, perilous, unsafe, insecure, exposed, defenceless, precarious, touch-and-go, tricky, treacherousuncertain, unpredictable, speculativechancy, dicey, sticky, hairydodgygnarlyparlousView synonyms
- ‘The final phase is to analyze the strength of the brand to figure out how risky those future brand earnings are.’
- ‘It was risky to make the call from an enemy phone - but Natalie was quickly running out of options.’
- ‘Participating artists discuss the concept of risk, and what makes art risky business.’
- ‘Namibian banks generally do not see it as their business to lend to risky long-term investments.’
- ‘The amount of debt that existed in this country, on both the business and consumer ends, was risky.’
- ‘Remaking movies is always a risky endeavor, and remaking a classic can border on the foolhardy.’
- ‘As such, buying an ongoing venture is usually less risky than starting a brand new business.’
- ‘Setting up a new business is risky and involves a steep learning curve, and can ultimately lead to failure.’
- ‘Growth and change are naturally risky, but stagnation is a recipe for failure.’
- ‘Struggling companies, once seen as a challenge, are now often deemed too risky to take a chance on.’
- ‘Putting your money in the stock market is a risky business.’
- ‘Thus, it is risky for a patient with ongoing medical conditions to change doctors or to come to a hospital.’
- ‘I knew my parents would be back anytime soon, and inviting James over was risky business.’
- ‘Though risky, some businesses will decide to take their chances and not fully comply.’
- ‘It was too risky to stay any longer because sooner or later, someone was going to notice him acting strange.’
- ‘The margin for failure is high and the whole scheme is very risky.’
- ‘At the end of the day, I think what we are about is helping the company run its business in a risky world.’
- ‘Mercenaries had grown exponentially, and trade routes were risky, the merchant ships pillaged.’
- ‘As such, the potential returns can be enormous, but investing in these stocks can also be risky.’
- ‘It is only a matter of how long the risky lending and losses are allowed to accumulate.’
2Risqué.‘their risky patter made the guests laugh’
Are you looking for a word for a foolish person? We explore twelve interesting words to describe the dunderheads in your life.
Before you run for the hills, let’s run through a list of ‘run’ expressions that are running through our minds.
The definitions of ‘buddy’ and ‘bro’ in the OED have recently been revised. We explore their history and increase in popularity.