One of the mysteries of the English language finally explained.
A Hindu sage or saint.
abstainer, recluse, hermit, solitary, anchorite, anchoress, desert saint, celibate, puritan, nun, monkView synonyms
- ‘All this great knowledge was discovered eons ago by our rishis.’
- ‘The rishi gave Hanuman a curse that limited his strength.’
- ‘In Indian legend, every rishi, or yogi, who possesses divine power has a retreat in the mountain vastness of the Himalayas.’
- ‘The hymns are generally grouped according to either the families of rishis who originated them or the gods being celebrated.’
- ‘Though married to a rishi, Ahalya was tricked into a love affair with Indra and cursed by her husband into becoming a slab of stone.’
- ‘Several thousand years ago, the rishis (ancient seers) of India accessed profound knowledge called the knowledge of life or Ayurveda.’
- ‘It has been said that ‘the theory is that some one among us, our great rishis, had attained such spiritual heights that they could be in direct communion with God’.’
- ‘One version has it that when disease, in the form of fever, first made its presence known on earth, the rishis of the time gathered together and sent Bharadwaj to the devas to get the knowledge to combat it.’
- ‘Whenever you take an incarnation, You select a rishi to become Your guru.’
- ‘Our great rishis from ancient times have given various exercises to control the body.’
- ‘He observed that a fully developed Hindu should be able to experience at will each of these points of view and consciously live in two, three or more at the same time, as did the rishis of yore.’
From Sanskrit ṛṣi.
Top tips for CV writingRead more
In this article we explore how to impress employers with a spot-on CV.