One of the mysteries of the English language finally explained.
Nylon fabric that is woven so that a tear will not spread.‘ripstop has heavier threads woven every quarter-inch or so’as modifier ‘a suit of briar-resistant ripstop nylon’‘a pair of ripstop pants’
- ‘I've wanted to make a kite now for some time but I kept putting it off so I'd have the necessary materials to make a ‘good kite’, i.e. ripstop nylon, fiberglass or carbon fiber rods, etc.’
- ‘A good quality kite made from treated ripstop spinnaker cloth and fibreglass spars starts at about $10.’
- ‘Traditionally, windsocks are made from nylon ripstop, taffeta or oxford cloth, available in a variety of bright colors.’
- ‘Parachutes sewn at home are made from ripstop nylon and use twill tape to reinforce its seams.’
- ‘Back home in Utah, McLean ordered some ripstop polyester, rounded up a set of plans, and sat down at his industrial sewing machine to create his own version.’
- ‘‘Strong fabrics, such as ripstop nylon, will add durability to certain key areas like the shoulders and the elbows,’ she continues.’
Top tips for CV writingRead more
In this article we explore how to impress employers with a spot-on CV.