One of the mysteries of the English language finally explained.
Nylon fabric that is woven so that a tear will not spread.‘ripstop has heavier threads woven every quarter-inch or so’as modifier ‘a suit of briar-resistant ripstop nylon’‘a pair of ripstop pants’
- ‘‘Strong fabrics, such as ripstop nylon, will add durability to certain key areas like the shoulders and the elbows,’ she continues.’
- ‘Traditionally, windsocks are made from nylon ripstop, taffeta or oxford cloth, available in a variety of bright colors.’
- ‘Back home in Utah, McLean ordered some ripstop polyester, rounded up a set of plans, and sat down at his industrial sewing machine to create his own version.’
- ‘I've wanted to make a kite now for some time but I kept putting it off so I'd have the necessary materials to make a ‘good kite’, i.e. ripstop nylon, fiberglass or carbon fiber rods, etc.’
- ‘Parachutes sewn at home are made from ripstop nylon and use twill tape to reinforce its seams.’
- ‘A good quality kite made from treated ripstop spinnaker cloth and fibreglass spars starts at about $10.’
Top tips for CV writingRead more
In this article we explore how to impress employers with a spot-on CV.