One of the mysteries of the English language finally explained.
A sound made by a mobile phone when an incoming call is received.
- ‘The room grew silent, which made the sound of my ringtone seem that much more invasive and violating.’
- ‘The theme tune is now available as a ringtone for your mobile.’
- ‘The latest trend in mobile phone is customising ringtones.’
- ‘The most popular downloads in the mobile content marketplace are ringtones, music and games.’
- ‘Mobile phone ringtones are seen as the basis for an increasingly lucrative music market - sales have already outstripped CD singles.’
- ‘Cara had one fleeting thought: Hey, that sounds just like my ringtone.’
- ‘However, the text failed to advise them that, as a result of requesting and receiving the free ringtone, they would also be signing up to receive three ringtones a week costing £1.50 each.’
- ‘Polyphonic sound is basically a ringtone that can produce more than two notes at a time, sixteen to be precise, allowing for a tune that covers a broader spectrum of music.’
- ‘Songwriters collected $71m last year in royalties from the sale of mobile phone ringtones.’
- ‘The manufacturer has given the phone an additional loudspeaker, so that ringtones, alarms and speaker calls sound much clearer.’
- ‘The caller and recipient both hear a ringtone and, once the recipient clicks on Answer Call, the call is initiated.’
- ‘Planes will no longer be a haven from irritating ringtones with the arrival of cheaper ways to allow mobile phones to be used on aircraft.’
Top tips for CV writingRead more
In this article we explore how to impress employers with a spot-on CV.