One of the mysteries of the English language finally explained.
Any of a number of ring-necked birds.
- ‘Port Lincoln ringneck parrots are believed to have been the main offenders, and Department of Agriculture technical officer said it was a reminder of the potential for damage to horticultural crops by some native birds.’
- ‘Once properly trained to hunt within 25 to 30 yards of the gun, the Springer can dependably find and flush ringnecks from whatever cover they inhabit.’
- ‘Wigeon, scaup, ringnecks and a considerable number of mallards make use of the parkland habitat, Sharp said.’
- ‘On the one hand, you have the uplands: home to the ruffed grouse and the woodcock, the ringneck pheasant, the bobwhite quail, and just possibly sharptail grouse and Hungarian partridge, too.’
- ‘It made a good all-around bird gun and took its share of ringnecks.’
- ‘The ringneck parrots are native across Australia.’
- ‘One of the birds I bagged was a ringneck hybrid called a ‘California Buff.’’
Top tips for CV writingRead more
In this article we explore how to impress employers with a spot-on CV.